Sunday, July 10, 2011

(Re)Mediation



As we conclude our discussion on remediation, I want you to explore the following questions:

1. Define remediation in the 21st century
2. Draw connections between remediation and digital literacies
3. Draw connections between remediation and composing practices
4. Reflect--your concluding thoughts on remediation

**Per normal: 500 words, dialogue with your classmates, be thoughtful, yet engaging.

Due: Thursday, July 14, 2011 by class time.

18 comments:

  1. When thinking of the 21st century and remediation, I think of the hype surrounding immediacy. Media viewers of this age are so consumed by their needs and desires of instant gratification. Producers of media keep this in mind when creating their work. Although dated, a definition from Bolter and Grusin, describes remediation in the future is the constant change from medium to medium that satisfies the needs of immediacy. An example of an old medium to a new medium is newspaper to web writing for websites like cnn.com or nytimes.com. This is a connection our group made during the scavenger hunt on Wednesday. This connection to digital literacy shows again the presence of remediation. Composing practices such as; the writing process, gathering research, and citing sources rely heavily on remediation. While composing an original piece one has to find credible sources. Once you have found a valid source to incorporate into your composition, you must then cite them and give the source credit for their work. This is another example of remediation. The source could be any form of media, once inserted into your composition this is a remediation. This action of taking an image for example and adding it to your work, takes the image out of its context and places it into another medium, of print writing. When artists are in search of inspiration they look back to preferable classics and use their words or media to influence their work; this is another example of remediation but within the realm of artistic practices. Just as in Bolter and Grusin’s text, directors like Steven Spielberg have referred back to classics like Hitchcock to enhance his understandings of film. This act of referring back to classics like Vertigo and their connection to remediation as insanity further connects remediation and digital illiteracies (Bolter, Grusin). This exploration of remediation, confirms thoughts I had in the beginning that nothing is really in its original form. Everything from composing practices to digital illiteracies relates to remediation, and proves that something is usually or always influenced by a previous medium. It is extremely difficult to compose something without looking at the work of an expert. Without these references and the use of remediation we would not have very interesting and credible creations. Remediation and media are around us each and everyday, whether consciously or not we retain or are influenced by them. The creators of medium always have the intention to influence consumers. This intention is differentiated by the purpose of the medium. Whether they aim to remind you of your setting and medium (hypermediacy), or they seek to draw you into a never ending virtual reality (immediacy); their inspiration for doing so is to have an effect on their audience. The difference is how they want you to interpret this information, and what the creator wants the viewer to do with it. Within the components of the remediation there may be implied actions or a call to action. On the other hand, the creator may only want to you think about it and take no other actions. Regardless of the medium used remediation has affected all of us (everyday) and most of these intentions go unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As we conclude on the subject of remediation, I can definitely say I have learned a lot. Remediation is one form of media being transferred to another media. Saying that, remediation is constantly evolving because media is always changing; especially now in the 21st century there are constantly new forms of media that are being invented. From only having physical textbooks to now online databases, I can only imagine what new forms of remediation there will be in our future. I found myself engrossed in the subject of remediation and I only want to keep learning more. Remediation is everywhere and therefore, I believe it is something that most people should know.
    The fact that the computer is one of the biggest media inventions we now have access to online newspapers, news etc. A vast form of hypermedia, that goes along the line of remediation and digital literacy’s, is being able to access different windows at the same exact time. Before 21st century remediation, it was difficult to multitask because resources were not as close to acquire as they are now. Also, books were not easy to obtain as well when trying to research any sort of topic. Now, that media has evolved and so has remediation, our composing practices have improved as well. On another note, if it were not for the teachings I was taught in this class, I would not have the same perception on media and rhetoric, and remediation.
    All in all, remediation is something we deal with everyday even if we simply do not realize it. We deal with old and new mediums everyday along with repurposing. One characteristic that I am grateful for learning is that once I knew what remediation was, I loved looking at objects around me and knowing what was remediation, what were immediacy and hypermedia and different mediums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When thinking about what remediation means in the 21st century, I automatically think about immediacy. They state that “the logic of immediacy has manifested itself from the Renaissance to the present”. It all began with painting, which was used to capture a single moment in time perhaps. Then we had the invention of photography, which was the same concept but clearer and more efficient. Now, in the 21st century, we have digital images. We use technology to upload images or make slideshows with them. Remediation doesn’t mean that we are inventing a new way and getting rid of the old, but instead, we are making improvements on past ways and making them better for us. One example of remediation that seems to have been a huge trend the last few years has been making old comic books into movies. The stories that were read in books as young kids are now being brought to life by creating a movie. The writers of the movie script took the story on one medium (comic book) and then transformed it to another medium (film). I remember back in lower school and even in high school, our teachers would make us hand write all of our work, even essays. As I got older they could also make us type the paper and site it and also use a certain format. I used to hate this! I a way it is sort of like remediation because we would have to compose on the paper, which was one medium, and then type it on the computer which was the other medium. Technology has made a vast impact on remediation and how we live today. Before computers and networking and interactive videogames, how did we interact? Well, people would write letters or get together everyone in a while. But today’s age calls for everything to be right now! We can text or email a friend or teacher. We can play video games with people in other parts of the country when you use an internet connection. It is truly unbelievable the way we have progressed as a society and the advancements that we have made. I agree with @itsannesanchez that computer is the biggest media inventions of all time. I cannot even imagine what the future has to offer us! In years to come we could have virtual body transporters or something crazy like that! Bolter and Grusin say that we really don’t know what the future of remediation has to offer but we can guess and watch how it develops over our lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remediation was defined to us in a simple definition: representing a medium within another medium. Bolter and Grusin state in their book that “In this last decade of the twentieth century, we are in an unusually position to appreciate remediation, because of the rapid development of new digital media and the nearly as rapid response by traditional media.” As time goes on our technology continually progresses and remediation can only get better. Hypermediacy and immediacy will be more advanced in every form of remediation. As I think of remediation in the 21st century, I think that virtual reality will only become more real. “Virtual reality is immersive, which means that it is a medium whose purpose is to disappear.” Immediacy is the idea of having our ideals or goals met so much where we get lost in the moment. As humans we seek that immediate response that appeals to our emotions, the feeling of being so wrapped up in a movie or video game that we forget reality and the problems that it entails. The best example of hypermediacy is Disney world. The visual appeals, smells and everything all between will continue to improve which ties into the idea of virtual reality accelerating our experience. In addition to Chelsea’s group, we also made the connection to digital literacy be our example in the scavenger hunt being CNN.com or FOXnews.com as the newer form to getting your news, rather than a newspaper. When you are composing and want something to be a remediation you have to make sure the old medium is still represented in the new medium, or else it is not remediation, it is a new idea. I liked the way Chelsea incorporated artist’s inspiration by classics or older work in influencing their work. That is a great way to connect composing and remediation. What I learned about remediation is that we deal with it every day whether we know or not. How we get our weather reports, news updates and even our various forms of entertainment are all apart or remediation. The media also uses remediation with “the transparent presentation of the real and the enjoyment of the opacity of media themselves.” Enjoyment is the main thing the audience seeks and the person’s main idea who is creating the medium is to influence the audience or the consumer. This brings me back to my previous example of Disney world implementing all the tools used with hypermediacy. Immediacy leads to hypermediacy. “Hypermediacy makes us aware of the medium or media and (in sometimes subtle and sometimes obvious ways) reminds us of our desire for immediacy.” The smells of the food make you hungry so you spend money on the restaurants. The t-shirts that go along with the rides are displayed perfectly to catch the people’s eye. You can’t leave without the cheesy mouse ears that seem to attract first time park goers and little kids. By effectively using hypermediacy you can influence people so easy when you appeal to their emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remediation in the 21st century is about meeting the hypermedia needs of consumers. It is all about first person point of views. Video games allow the player to feel as if he or she is inside the game; this captivates and holds their attention for hours. Mediation is a very tactile process. People like to have control, and with advancements in technology and digitality it is possible for creators to take a digital hands into their works. Even organizing your computer desktop is advancement in technology because of hypermediacy. People like to be able to have a structured desktop that’s easy to navigate. Like Chelsea said, remediation extends into newspapers. If I feel the occasional need to know what new tragedy is going on in the world, I go to cnn.com or the New York Times Online editions. They are quick to access, navigate and don’t waste any trees!
    Growing up in the 90s and 2000s, kids had unlimited access to computers. Digital literacy just grew with us as we grew up. My mom always asks me how to do things on the computer, and 95% of the time I can solve her problem but can never explain how I know to do whatever it is I do. I always tell her you learn things from sitting on the computer all day playing around with it. Literacy in the 21st century is becoming an extremely technological genre. With an abundant amount of information located online and through sources like Google, JSTOR or any online database, books are becoming the less popular source to find information. Books always need to be updated and this can take years, but online everything is current and updated constantly. Digital Literacy doesn’t just apply to books and research methods its also about knowing how to create a website, upload pictures you’ve edited in iPhoto to a website or creating movies. It is the ability to locate, organize, understand, evaluate, and create information using digital technology.
    Remediation and composing are so completely tied together hand-in-hand. Today you might have to search awhile to find an average person using film in their camera, photography have gone digital. Pictures can be edited to create a mood or placed into a video collage telling a story or emailed from relative to relative instantly, no longer having to wait for the pictures to be developed and then mailed. People can take a written essay and make it more interesting by composing it into a different medium that is more interactive.
    This week spent on Remediation is by far the most interesting to me. I think it’s because we’ve be able to think more creatively and abstractly in our discussion. Sydney mentioned robots! That is a remediation people have been talking about for generations! It’s the advance advancement of remediated technology. The discussion on Disney World was completely eye opening. I had never thought of all the hypermediated aspects to the theme park but the whole place is on hypermedaited-crack!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As we wind down on exploring remediation in class my final thoughts of remediation are positive. I learned so much about remediation and technology. All of these things I thought I would never know about. Remediation, today, is pretty much a medium inside another medium. Going from one thing to another but advancing it. For example, like a book series progressing into a movie and then the movie progressing into a video game. Other examples would be glogster, wordle, and even our cell phones. Within our cell phones we can pull up maps instantly and even access the web. Inside remediation is hypermediacy and immediacy. Immediacy leads to Hypermediacy. An example of hypermediacy would be our computers. We can access many windows at one time while trying to meet our needs. Also, Harry Potter World would be an example of hypermediacy on crack. There is the theme park, inside the theme park there are different sections and hands on experiences, where you can get the whole experience. Remediation is constantly changing. Technology is all around us, we use it for everything we do in our daily lives weather you know it or not. We use technology to communicate via cell phones, email, and like me skype with my boyfriend. It is especially important to us EWM majors because we are in a major that requires a lot of digital media. We should all be aware that our major will be changing constantly. I agree with what Caroline said, Immediacy is “the the logic of immediacy has manifested itself from the Renaissance to the present”. It all began with painting, which was used to capture a single moment in time perhaps.” A painting started millions of years ago and it all gradually advanced into much more what we know as technology. We have digital images and even virtual reality. In today’s society everyone wants what they want NOW! So they have to make technology around our needs. Something so where we would buy it. Our world lives around technology. Ten years from now there is no telling what might be new in the world of digital media.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well remediation its been great, but it’s time to say goodbye. Over this week I have learned a lot about exactly what remediation is and how it exists in our world. Remediation can be defined as the transformation of an idea from one medium to another medium. This is very true when looking at the 21st century. As we know the 21st century is completely technology based. With this remediation is a reoccurring thing. With every new update, or second edition of the same device, remediation is at its best. It is offering the user something that they feel that they need but have never had before. Remediation in the 21st century also causes for a rise in a lot of other areas. With remediation, the digital literacy is constantly on the rise. Children as young as two years old are able to work computers and gameboys to play the games they find interesting. The elderly are also able to get back into the game of the digital world. With remediation on a steady rise in the 21st century, the generation that is older than new age remediation is being pushed to the limit to get back involved in the world. They are learning how to use computers, cell phones, and even personal devices to fit in and keep up with the “Jones’s”. Both the old and the young are causing the digital literacy rate to rise at an unprecedented speed. Along with digital literacy, the way people go about with writing and composing has also changed. Before the computer or great steps in remediation, the way one composed dealt with pen and paper. When correcting or making multiple drafts, the composer had to do this all by hand, over and over until they were able to get the correct format. With remediation, the amount of time a composer spends on a piece of work has been shortened as well as how the composer approaches it. With remediation, the paper trail that followed a piece of work has died. As a writer you are able to open up a document and begin work on your computer. With spell check and auto correct. The amount of drafts needed have been cut down. I like what Caroline said about remediation back in high school. We as students had to write papers in class, and then the teacher would sometimes ask us to go home and type up what we had been working on. This can be looked at as remediation because of the transfer of the medium. The point that Amy makes is also extremely important. One key thing about remediation is that you cannot lose the medium that was there before. With the newspapers, they are the old medium. When you put them online, they are still giving the same information, yet they are giving it in a different way. this is the root definition of remediation being played out right before our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I think about remediation in the 21st century, I instantly think of any technological advancement that has been made within media. Today, so much of our immediacy involves the increase in technology and how it can help meet the needs of the audience. Items such as cameras, computers, projections, and film have all been altered throughout the years to become more appealing to the growing tech-savvy population of our time. The newest thing these days is 3D television and how it affects our immediacy while watching movies and TV shows. These concepts tie into remediation and digital literacies. As @itsannesanchez mentioned, technology today has made many things within rhetoric possible. Books are no longer limited to words on paper. Kindles are now taking the place of paperbacks. People are also able to get books downloaded to their Iphones. Instead of making posters with poster board and cut outs, people can use sites such as Glogster to create a digital poster to then print out. Computers and other technology are simplifying literary practices. Within composing practices, remediation is very important when it comes to changing a text from one medium to another, such as a book to a movie script. Composing a movie script from a book takes a different composition process than simply writing a book. Remediation has been an interesting topic to study because it is not something I noticed everyday, yet used a lot. It helped me understand the advances that are made in media in order to fit the needs of an audience or population. The concept of the multi-million dollar Harry Potter industry being a remediation is really amazing. This topic taught me a lot about text, technology, and the concepts behind remediation such as immediacy and hypermediacy. It is amazing how much media has altered within the last century. . I am excited to see how media will change within our life time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I think of remediation in the 21st century, I think of all the new and evolving digital mediums that are invented. I think immediacy also comes to mind in the digital age. With all the advancements in technology it has become increasing easier to take something and remediate it. For the 21st century I think the new definition of remediation should be the reimagining of something into a new medium in a digital world where everything is expected to have some sort of instant gratification. Bolter and Grusin define remediation as “ representing a medium within another medium”. In today’s world with facebook, YouTube, twitter and all sorts of blogs people can do all sorts of remediating in their living room. I agree with itsannesanchez that the invention of computers is one of the biggest media inventions of all time. The advancements that it has brought to digital media will probably quadruple if not more during our lifetimes. Before I took this class I never would have thought how much remediation is apart of our lives. When we were doing the scavenger hunt today, we found a board that was showing plays at FSU this upcoming semester. It immediately hit us that these plays were being remediated from a screenplay or a book and that’s something that never would have occurred to me two weeks ago. I think the biggest connection between remediation and digital literacies would be newspapers. Fifty years ago newspapers were our biggest source of news. In today’s digital world you can access all the same information from the newspaper on the computer or even your phone. Remediation and composing practices have changed in the 21st century have changed as well. You can compose something and have it posted on the Internet without ever actually leaving your bed in the morning. As we come to a close with remediation I have taken away that remediation isn’t constrained to just text, but in any form of art, movies, games, music or genres of expressions. With all of these forms of genres that can change mediums and evolve into something than what they were originally intended for. As for what remediation holds for the future I cant even fathom what technological advancements will take place over the next few decades. One thing that comes to mind with working with TVs at Best Buy is how we are transitioning into 3d at home. I can only imagine in the next decade that there will be some form of holograms in people’s homes. When you consider that everything started from simple drawings of comic strips for entertainment to now currently have 3d TVs to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I think of remediation in the 21st Century, I think of our society and how we are consumed with having the “coolest best new things.” We want the most technologically advanced gadgets and the newest “remediated” versions of everything. For example, everyone had a house phone, then they wanted a cell phone, then a camera phone, then a keyboard, and finally a smart phone.” Just the idea of a phone has been hypermediated and remediated because of our technological desire and advancements. Like almost all of my classmates mentioned, immediacy also defines remediation in the 21st century because we want instant gratification when using our cool gadgets. I am definitely guilty of wanting things “immediately.” For example, I get extremely frustrated when a website is loading slowly, or my phone decides to freak out. It seems that technology has almost spoiled us with immediate gratification all the time. Like Chelsea said digital literacy is also important to remediation because as writers we constantly remediate in our composing process. We research, draft, write, rewrite, etc. and repeat the process over and over again until we have produced our “best” work. Because I think that remediation is about finding the best possible medium, it is obvious that the writing process relates. In the process we are also using so many forms of media and hypermediation such as the Internet and even windows. All of these have become such a huge part of our lives that we don’t take the time to think about what was remediated to create the technology we have today, or what would the composing process be like without digital literacy? Reading about and discussing remediation has really opened my mind to thoughts about how many mediums work with and within each other and how as a whole, our generation tend to take technology and its advances for granted. We would not be able to do the things we do today, like typing this post in Microsoft Word, and posting it in another window to a blog on the Internet. We would also not have the cool things we have. We would not have things like television, cell phones, laptops, and the Internet, if something wasn’t remediated for them to be developed. The Scavenger Hunt on Wednesday also helped me to realize how much hypermediacy and remediation is around us. We just have to open our eyes and take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To piggy back on several of my classmates, I perceive remediation to be the representation of a medium within another medium. Although remediation has been around for ages, I believe the 21st century is the time in which remediation has become most prevalent. With the digitization of practically everything there is, as consumers we are constantly being affected by remediation. Our world and the way we view it is morphed by the technology that is being introduced, our mediums are in almost a constant state of remediation. I find also that in the 21st century, our remediation is a direct extension of the surplus in hypermediacy. Many people are incessantly attached to technology. We have cellphones that can be used to do practically anything we can imagine that in previous years we would have to do manually, like, say, check your bank statement. We have access to multitudes of technology sources and there are ways anyone and everyone can use it. I agree with Kayla in saying that in the 21st century, the elderly are taking advantage of technology more and more. My grandma e-mails me weekly, she knows how to attach documents, insert emoticons and everything in between. It never ceases to amaze me. Kindles, iPads and other devices of that nature are examples of some of the newest forms of remediation. Remediation and digital literacy almost coexist in my opinion.I believe to be digitally literate, you have to know the software and programs you're using. Digital literacy is almost a norm today, many jobs even require their employees to be able to navigate themselves on the computer. Digital literacy and composition makes the process more efficient and simple. With things like spelling checks on microsoft word and even power point, we are able to compose with technology fast and nearly effortless. After this unit on remediation I feel like I've learned something new. I feel that knowing the process of remediation is key in composing and knowing the process of composing. By the time I'm working, there will be even new and improved technology to use. The idea of hypermediacy I feel like is relevant especially to my generation. Everyone is so immersed in technology and their own stupid social media that many times they can't get their head out of their butt to appreciate literature or things of originality. Unfortunately, that's the way we're heading, so at least the newest technology should be fun to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a newfound appreciation for remediation. Remediation is the 21st century. Honestly I feel as is the 21st century is defined by remediation. Technology developed has allowed everyone to compose. Remediation in the 21st century is genuinely the tension between new and old mediums. Older mediums like books or even as specific as paper is almost obsolete today. Newer mediums have developed and created a tension with old mediums. Just thinking of the examples of how mediums been remediated like Harry Potter and Beauty and the Beast have defined the culture of generations. I think the major connection between remediation and composing practices is the theory of uses and gratifications. I have studied this a few times in my communication courses, but I think it connects most with remediation. The theory suggests that people seek media that will provide us with all the information we need. For some, a good book can do that. For others, perhaps it’s a movie, website, or poster. I like to think of it as, everyone learns differently, thus we call process information differently. That is remediation. The same concept in different mediums is remediation. After learning about remediation and doing the scavenger hunt, I cannot say enough how much I can see how remediation is around me. Anna brings up an interesting point of multi-tasking. Technology today was built for things to be done efficiently and quickly, but most importantly all at once. Our generations has been defined by speed and getting things done quickly. Honestly Shannon, I absolutely agree with the whole robot comment made by Sydney in class. What happens when robots make decision? Will they then be remediation? Are they mediums or creators of mediums? Honestly just thinking about it makes me think of iRobot and the potential dangers of robots taking over the world, but that is another post. Our professor brought up an interesting pint as well. Are humans mediums or just creators of mediums? I do think humans can ONLY create mediums, we are not mediums. Remediation was fun. I am sad to see it go, but I am sure it is just the tip of the iceberg. I really enjoy the content of the course. It really is more like application to theories I learn in my communication classes. I like it. Technology is so cool. It is a ever growing realm that will lead to further evolutions of english. It is kind of cool to see how english, literature and composition change as technology does. From pen and paper, to ipad2 note pad. Composition is evolution. Get with or get lost. well not really, but yeah. (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think remediation defined in the 21st century would be defined as taking one medium and turning it into an advanced medium. In todays age its no longer taking a book and turning it into a movie, its more tuning it into a high budget film and using all the advanced latest technologies as well as making the entire film a brand. I think the Harry Potter example we used in class was a great example as well as the new comic movies, X-men, Ironman, Thor, ECT, that we have seen in current days. With the movie Ironman, the original medium was a comic book. Today the comic has been made into three movies, the last being a 3-D movie.
    When it comes to digital literacies I think Jasmine made a great point bout the tensions between the new and old medium. This is an issue I see as well especially with newspaper and magazine subscriptions and other old mediums. Their sales are down because of the common “I read everything online” excuse given by lots of customers, and I’ll admit imp one of them. Some companies, The Tallahassee Democrat is one of them have even resulted in charging customers a fee to read their news article online. I think the same can be said in terms of music. Lots of people no longer buy cd's they buy the MP3 download or even download an illegal shared file.
    Remediation has definitely played a part in composing practices. We no longer have to write everything in a formal sense we can write to the world in informal blog post, Facebook notes, Twitter updates, and so many other outlets that are currently available. Another change I see in recent days s now the creditability of these sources. Bolter and Grusin stated in their conclusion that the Internet was shaping into an established news medium, but now in 2011, it’s safe to say that it most definitely is. Not only is it an established news medium its probably the top.
    In closing, I have learned so much from this study on remediation. I realized how much I had learned on our scavenger hunt. The scavenger hunt was a great way to show that remediation is around us everyday and most of us don’t even notice it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Remediation in the 21st century can easily be defined in one way- the representation of one medium in another. A medium is any form of art; photographs, film, writing, or digital media are all be different mediums that by which remediation could be influenced. Immediacy is being able to have your goals met. A great example of this is when one is playing an interactive video game. The gamer is able to submerge himself into that world, escaping from the real world where he does not kill the bad guys or get to carry a sword. This culture today is all about immediacy, being able to get what you want and being able to leave this reality, if only for the length of time it takes to beat a video game or sit down and watch a movie. Another level of remediation is hypermediacy. The best example of hypermediacy is the desktop of a laptop. The laptop user is able to have a plethora of windows open, each window meeting a need, all in one place. The upsurge of digital literacies, from major newspapers having an online copy available every day to each person being able to have a personal blog, the way people are writing has taken a serious turn for the digital. To take something from a newspaper print and transfer it online, or to take notes from a hand-written journal and put them into a blog are both examples of remediation. Being able to take something written by hand, or jotted down in a journalist’s notebook, and put it on the internet to be accessed by all is a transfer from one medium to another. Remediation cannot exist without repurposing, and as long as writers are transforming their work to be more accessible in this digital age, remediation will remain necessary. Remediation can be found in almost anything, and its prevalence ensures its importance to all mediums, whether they be pictures or blogs. I agree with Carolineee where she makes the connection of comic books to movies. Recently it seems like 75% of the movies that are released were first a comic book, proving that without remediation, would directors know which movies to make?

    ReplyDelete
  15. We send a letter. We anxiously wait for a response and rip the envelope open upon its arrival. We send an email. We refresh our inbox over and over again waiting for a quick response. We send an IM. We wait, staring at the screen, and get antsy when the IM box shows us that the person on the other end is currently typing.

    Our communication has developed extensively throughout time. Impatience is natural and always has been. Since we had a taste of it in the Renaissance, we’ve kept a thirst for immediacy. It seems like many students are agreeing with a lot of the points that Carolineee has made, so I think that we are all on the same level of our understanding with remediation and its important relationship with immediacy. Known as a medium represented within another, remediation has developed since the 20th century. However, it is in the 21st century remediation where I really realize that remediation doesn’t only start when one medium is transformed into another. It starts with an interest. Yes, we want immediacy, but not if we aren’t interested in the beginning medium. When we recreate, we re-stimulate the audience. If we did not want to be stimulated by the same idea, we wouldn’t remediate the same idea. When something strikes our fancy, we never want it to end. To explain this a bit more clearly, I’ll use the example of Harry Potter for two reasons: Kara said it in class, so we’re all aware of the example and HP7 Part 2 comes out tonight. When the first book was published, readers wanted more. We wanted another book. That wasn’t enough, so we wanted a movie, a video game, and now a theme park. We never know when we’ll see the end of Harry Potter. If we weren’t interested in the work of J.K. Rowling, we wouldn’t have all of the HP remediation.

    With that being said, I’d like to loosely redefine remediation as it is in the 21st century: An idea’s original medium represented in a new medium designed to re-stimulate the audience’s interest in the idea.

    In the relationship between remediation and composing practices, I must argue that as composers, we should write to be remediated. If an audience reads my story and doesn’t say, “I’d really like to see this as a movie,” then what have I created? In a world where people everywhere want something new and they want it NOW, if your work doesn’t spark that interest in the audience to have it in a different medium, to see it again and again and again in a different light, then your work isn’t “good” enough for today’s society. I’m not saying that this is what I believe and that if your work doesn’t partake in remediation, it’s not good work, but this sure is what J.K Rowling set the bar to be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Remediation in the 21st century is the creation of unfathomable technologies that will update older outputs of media. For example, the computer, the television, the disposable camera, and the Internet were all invented in the 20th century. In the early 1900’s, people were not able to imagine our world today. They were not able to imagine how we could get any piece of information instantly through a Google search. They could not imagine going to see a movie in 3D and only having to pay about $10 for it. They had no idea that ordinary people could capture their own videos and send it across the digital universe. All of the things we use today were barely an idea in the early 1900’s. I think that remediation for the 21st century will be the same thing. Our updates will be so extraordinary and advanced that we won’t be able to see it coming. This is different than the 20th century because the amazing technology will be produced much faster than ever before and there won’t be such a lag between the mediums. This new technology is on its way, NOW.
    To me, digital literacy is a form of remediation. Through remediation came digital literacy because we no longer need to waste paper getting a newspaper, we can log on to CNN.com and get the nation’s top stories. We don’t need to go searching in the library for some hidden book because we can probably find the same information in the book online, and the information will be more up to date anyways. Digital literacy is just a remediation of the old ways to get information. This ties into the composing process. When I started high school, whenever we needed to write a research paper, it was necessary to have a couple of sources from a physical book. By the time I graduated, book sources were no longer required. In even four years, the Internet had evolved so much that it was becoming more and more credible. I think that the composing process takes less time now. We can type things on Microsoft Word and easily hit backspace to delete an error. Before, you had to either hand write or use a typewriter. Both methods were extremely inefficient and with Microsoft Word, it is easier to get your ideas on paper faster. It is easier to draw information through hypermediacy. It is possible to have multiple windows of information open all organized however you want. Olivia said, “It is the ability to locate, organize, understand, evaluate, and create information using digital technology.” I think that this is so true, we can do all of this faster and faster and now the composing process time is reduced significantly.
    I love remediation and am so glad I got to learn about it. More and more I am realizing how it is all around me every day. I am even a creator and consistent user of remediation. Not only am I appreciative to have learned about remediation, I am excited for the future. I want to know what technology has in store for us and how the things we knew as kids will be remediated and made new again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. Define remediation in the 21st century
    2. Draw connections between remediation and digital literacies
    3. Draw connections between remediation and composing practices
    4. Reflect--your concluding thoughts on remediation

    According to Bolter and Grusin, remediation is when different kinds of media constantly interact with each other to make changes and influence each other. Whether the medium is new or old, they both have influences on the other. In the 21st century, remediation has become especially prominent due to new digital technologies such as podcast, blogs, and social media. These new digital mediums must use the old mediums to create something new and digital, while relying on some characteristics of old mediums. For instance, online blogging is similar to a print medium because it mostly consists of text, but there are obvious differences, because the information is transmitted digitally. New digital mediums allow for a greater spread of information. Now people have access to computers and technology, whereas they used to only have access to print mediums that were available in there area. Digital mediums allow for compositions to be accessible to people all over the country and all over the world. Remediation also comes into play when it comes to composition. In the past, when there was limited technology and limited digital mediums, composers were limited to using print or film in composition. Now, composers can use a variety of mediums through remediation and can chose a medium that will best work for there composition. Remediation has allowed composers to expand their creativity, and compose in mediums that will appeal to their audience.

    In conclusion, I believe remediation is one of the defining characteristics of our time, because it has allowed for new ways of composition, and therefore we will see the works of composers expand. We are no longer limited to using one medium in composure, but can combine various mediums to create whole new forms of composure. As technology expands along with digital mediums, remediation will be a continuous trend in composure and our society.

    I agree with Donielle that remediation has allowed for less formal composition. With social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, we can compose in a casual manner, and communicate with our friends through a different medium.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that Donielle hits defining remediation in the twenty-first century on the head, when she writes:
    "taking one medium and turning it into a [more technologically] advanced medium." Bolter and Grusin mention that remediation has occurred since the Renaissance, which fits this definition for the twenty-first century. In the renaissance, better media (in their example, the media of paint and canvas) were available to artists. However, to this definition, I would add that there is a growth in skill nescessary to fully utilize the new medium. I think that this has become increasingly true in the twenty-first century. Remediation applied now means a knowledge of digital media, and how to create effectively in that media. I think a good twenty-first century working definition might be:
    "Remediation is a thoughtful, skilled composer taking something in its original media, and fully realizing a similar, but expanded version of the original composition in a new media."

    This somewhat implies that digital literacy is a necessity to remediation in the twenty-first century. This is not to say that remediation cannot occur without digital literacy -- surely, a composer can still make a photo essay without a computer -- but, with the prevalence of technology available, and the aspects of life that are now technologically 'involved,' it is nearly impossible to choose a media that is not affected, if not improved, by digitality. Digital literacy can also help reception of a remediation -- often times to access a remediated text, the audience must also have adegree of digital literacy in order to access and interpret the remediation. If the remediation is a Prezi, for example -- what good is it to a senior citizen with limited internet access?

    Remediation also changes composing process -- especially in digital forms. Often times, a composition process is shortened, because computing power 'takes care' of mundane tasks. This can be both good and bad -- a composer can lose control of minute details, but many will benefit from having those minute details taken care of, so that they can explore without dealing having to deal with the 'little things.' The composing process can also be affected because a specific digital media requires the composer to approach a subject a certain way -- again, Prezi is a good example. While the system is fairly flexible, it requires the composer to think spatially (which may not be natural for some composers), and sets up specific structures (groups, text levels, etc.). Even non-digital media can place these constructs upon a composing process, though -- a writer is similarly subject to the pen, paper, lines on the page, etc., as well as his/her own skill set.

    In all, I think that 'remediation' is an attempt to put words to a process that is part of our nature -- everyone wants bigger, better, newer -- and remediation is just that. To that end, I think it is good that there is an exploration of remediation as an extension of our nature as creative beings, but, I think that eventually, what we do (or do not do) will defy some parts of the definition and strengthen others. Remediation itself will be remediated.

    ReplyDelete