In this blog post, I want you to discuss reflection in terms of the composing process: where does it happen? do you believe it IS part of the composing process? how would you define reflection? how does Yancey define reflection? how does your definition of reflection compare to Yancey? do you believe you will or would use reflection in other classes/for other projects? does reflection only happen when you write it down? does reflection change based on the type of project?
Per normal ground your thinking with the reading. Target 500 words. Engage with your peers.
Due: Monday, August 1, 2011 by classtime.
Yancey sees the process of reflection as:
ReplyDelete"going beyond the text to include a sense of the ongoing conversations that texts enter into," allowing students to become "agents of their own learning."
I don't disagree with Yancey -- reflection is evaluating a piece of writing from outside the writing itself. It is a means for self-correction and self growth, that allows a composer to create a work to their own specification, or to the specification required (especially in an academic setting).
However, I don't know that reflection isn't also what Yancey discounts in earlier research on the subject -- 'pausings and rescannings' are a part of that process too; those observations seem to point to an abridged, fuller reflection process that "able authors" use to inform their work.
I believe that reflection exists both inside and outside the composition process. Where it exists inside, it guides composers, keeping them from making wrong turns and allowing them to be sure of what they are composing, as if they are comparing their ideas to the reality of the composed work. But even this is moving outside the composition itself. An "able writer" seems to be one that can examine the composition process as it is happening, and modify as necessary.
It is for this reason that I think that reflection, while integral to the composing process, is not actually a part of the process at all. Indeed, writers can compose without reflecting -- the most novice writers -- young children putting pen to paper for the first time, for instance -- prove this.
I think that reflection does not require documentation (although, writing a reflection is helpful since it causes you to 'reflect' on the reflection itself -- it is a grounding process). I believe that reflection varies with the type of project; complexity, genre, and other factors certainly influence how involved the reflection is and what its focus will be.
In a broader sense, reflection is self-awareness. Human beings are always reflecting -- 'do these shoes match the pants I'm wearing?,' 'do I need to straighten up the living room before company comes over?,' etc. -- are all reflections, with a different 'composition' as the starting point. We don't have to reflect to put on an outfit, but we do compare that outfit to what's expected. We modify ourselves to match our surroundings, or to make a specific impression, or to please other people (or, often, ourselves). Reflecting on composition is no different, except that it is not as 'expected,' socially and academically speaking, due perhaps in part to pedagogical practice. With it included as a part of writing pedagogy, reflection will (and, maybe even, has) become as natural as checking yourself in the mirror before heading to the next major function you attend, or editing your own language for an interview, or making a phone call to a more conservative relative.
The reflection process comes after everything has been brainstormed, written, revised, rewritten, revised again, edited, and then “published”. I do not think of it personally as a part of the composing process but I think it is an essential aspect of writing. Even though I usually do not write down my reflections (unless assigned otherwise), I always reflect in my own head. Actually, come to think of it, reflection is a matter of every day life. Every night before I go to sleep, I think back on my previous day, and even my previous life events. Reflection is a natural process and as Yancey said, it has many meanings. I reflect as I’m working. If I go to bed before something is finished, I usually spend half of my night thinking about how I can make it better. If I’m having trouble getting something started, I will take a break and reflect on how I can get started and what to work on. I think that reflection does not only happen once something is completed, but throughout the process of composing. So I retract my previous statement. Yes, reflection is a part of the composing process. I define reflection as the process of deep thinking. I think that it is different for everyone but to me, it allows me to think straight and to gather my thoughts. Yancey defines refection as the way we “obtain insight”. Like me, she sees that reflection is virtually everywhere. Even though this one of the first times I was assigned to write a reflection, I have used this process with every single thing I have ever created. I have used reflection with personal writing, poster boards, PowerPoint presentations, and essays. I can’t help my mind from drifting back to my projects. Most of the time I think back on projects and realize how I could have made it better. I use that to make my next project better than the last. I realize now that writing down my reflections could have helped me turn in even better projects. I have always loved to write and I don’t know why I never wrote down my thoughts about the Eleanor Roosevelt puppet I made in fourth grade, or the science fair project I made in seventh grade, or the posters I made for Anatomy, or the stories I wrote for Creative Writing in High School. I have memories of almost everything I have ever made for school and I don’t think I ever sat down and wrote about how I feel. I think it would have been a good tool for me to have used when I was younger and would have allowed me to clear my head more. I will definitely try to use written reflections from now on. It allows you to realize things you didn’t even think about before. To conclude, I think that reflection may change slightly based on the type of project but not too much because at the end of the day you are just organizing your thoughts and writing them down. They give you insight into your own mind. I think that the idea of reflection will pretty much stay the same no matter what you are working on.
ReplyDeleteIn the text, Yancey defines the phenomena of reflection in the composing process. She states that “it can mean revision, of one’s goals, or more often, of one’s work; it can mean self assessment… it can mean learning that takes place in and beyond the writing class…” I personally could not have defined reflection in a better way. I fully agree with Yancey’s theory. When I use reflection, which I already did before taking this class, I look back at my work to see what could be fixed or changed for next time. I also look to see how well I wrote it, and if I think that my writing is good enough. Reflection helps me to look back at my work, and improve from it. Yancey also states that reflection is used “to see growth.” If I were to reflect back to my papers and projects from freshman year ENC classes up until this point, I would definitely see growth, improvement, and maturity in my writing. This is what reflection is about and why it is so vital to my composing process. (Sorry @Gerry, I have to disagree with you!) Because this is the career path that I have chosen, I want to get better and be the best that I can be. The use of reflection will help me do exactly that. As Yancey mentions, reflection takes place within the text. I also believe that reflection goes beyond that and takes place within the writer his/herself. I also believe that it can take place at any point within the composing process. It can be after your first draft, while you are writing, and usually after you are finished. Because I believe that it happens within the writer, it does not necessarily need to be written down. Reflection can be a collaboration of your writing and your own personal thoughts about your writing. It is also cool because you don’t necessarily have to share your reflections with anyone, unless it is some kind of a reflection paper, like the last main assignment that we will complete this week. Reflection can be solely for the writer’s own personal use. I believe that I have used reflection in this class as well as some of my other classes without even consciously knowing about it. For example, I took ENC3310, Article and Essay Technique, last spring. In that class we were forced to look back on our work and see what we could’ve changed or made better, after we turned it in. This summer, I also looked back on my portfolio, just too read my essays again. It was cool to reminisce about the experiences I wrote about, as well as see how much my writing improved in just a semester’s time. Looking back, or “reflecting” on my work also helped me to identify the style that I developed in the class, as well as critique my own work.
ReplyDeleteReflection occurs during the entire composing process. One reflects on one's thoughts, initially, to inspire their thesis for a composition. I often reflect throughout the entire process. I rely on my own intuition and personal experience, as any composer does. We refer to other sources to enhance our perspective on a topic. Just as that source we referred to had to reflect on theories of the time to form their own.
ReplyDeleteI believe that reflection is an essential component of the composing process. As I have continually expanded my theory of composition, I consider reflection to be somewhat of a rhetorical canon. I define reflection, as the process of intuitively gathering information of text. I reflect by simply thinking of the topic. I admire the reflection component of our curriculum, the blog post. While reading a piece I reflect on the text by making side notes, where I'll come back to reexamine the subject.
Blog posts are a great way to add reflection into the curriculum. As Yancey believes that reflection needs to be fully integrated into her curriculum. I don't believe that all reflections are written text. Reflection is as simple as taking the time to observe and ponder. Reflection can also be an evaluation of a process and how it works. I often reflect on sources mentioned in our readings. Yancey mentioned many credible sources, which I made many notes on (reflecting).
I agree with Dewey, "we do have to learn how to think well." I believe that Dewey has grasped what reflection is and how it relates to language. He describes three uses of language. First, "the attempt to influence others," which is true with any writing, as we are usually aiming to persuade our audience. Second," the entering into of intimate relations," and finally, "the use of language ' as a conscious vehicle of thought and language.' "
My reflection often measures how well my point came across, if I attained the goals set out for myself, and the process implemented to do so. Yancey's definition: "Reflection, then, is the dialectical process by which we develop and achieve, first, specific goals for learning; second, strategies for reaching those goals; and third means of determining whether or not we have met those goals or other goals." I believe I have developed my understanding of reflection solely from Yancey. I agree with virtually all of her points on reflection. I appreciate the information and sources she includes in her defense.
Without realizing it, we have all used reflection in different classes. I reflect on how well I understand notes for my advertising class for example. I receive the test and reflect on my performance. Did I deserve this grade? What went wrong? How can I improve? We all have taken these measure to determine our success. Reflection also changes depending on the project or class at hand. For example, my reflection on how well I performed in a dance recital starts with watching the footage. No matter what the subject matter, reflection occurs whether we've decided to notice or not.
I just want to begin by saying that I LOVE Gerry’s thought process. I typically don’t read everyone’s post then write mine, because usually the same names are ALWAYS first. But no not this time, it was Gerry so I know I needed to read it. I think Gerry hit the nail right on the head by opening his blog with the quote of Yancey, “going beyond the text to include a sense of the ongoing conversations that texts enter into," allowing students to become "agents of their own learning”. I could not agree with this more. I was just finished writing my reflection on editing and I was just saying how much this class allows us to understand everything through application. In a sense we have been “agents of our own learning”. I think reflection NEEDS to take place at the end, but can occur at any point during the composing process. For instance, I am in the works of writing a script for another class. My episode should be about 30 minutes (30 pages) worth of raw… drama or action- depending on the reader. After our first draft was submitted, I accidently began reflecting. I am not sure how it started, but once it did, I realized that I was creating the proper scenarios to get to my overall resolution on page 30. So I began to rewrite my entire script in the margins. This proves that sometimes reflection can help accidently with the content you are producing. I would define reflection as a time when the composer thinks about their work and the process it took to make it. The “process” is not limited to just physical text, but even their state of mind during composing. Reflection is important in pretty much everything you do. We make mistakes, sometimes it is easier to see what you have done, review it, and learn from your errors. Yancey defines reflection as “it can mean revision, of one’s goals, or more often, of one’s work; it can mean self assessment… it can mean learning that takes place in and beyond the writing class…” I do not know Yancey or had the pleasure of meeting her yet, but I feel as if her definition is the fancy, more scholarly definition of mine! It is important as writers, to reflect upon our work and have “self assessment” so we can grow! Ultimately great writers, become great by reflecting. Reflection promotes change. I think without a doubt I will be reflecting in other classes. I doubt that I will actually write it down, but I will review over my work and see where there is room to grow. So, to answer the follow up question, I do not think that reflections have to be written. Reflections can be done in your mind. It many help to take notes or even create a blog insert wink* so you can share your reflection and growth with others. I think that many be my avenue. I want to somehow document my writing processes and my state of mind during composing. I think sharing with others my experiences can help them write better as well.
ReplyDeleteWhen Yancey defines reflection, I think she hit the nail on the head. She says, “it can mean revision, of one’s goals, or more often, of one’s work; it can mean self assessment… it can mean learning that takes place in and beyond the writing class…” I definitely agree with this statement. Reflection is a process that occurs constantly throughout the composing process and it allows us to grow as writers not only in the classroom, but outside of it. However, I also agree with Gerry when he said, “However, I don't know that reflection isn't also what Yancey discounts in earlier research on the subject -- 'pausings and rescannings' are a part of that process too; those observations seem to point to an abridged, fuller reflection process that "able authors" use to inform their work.” Reflection, to me, is something that allows authors to pause and re-read their work, searching for improvements as they reflect. I feel that reflection is a more introspective thought process when a writer takes it all in. They take a step back and make sure all the pieces are together and working as one solid piece of writing. Like Sydney said, I too believe that reflection does not only happen when something is completed, but rather it is something that happens throughout the entire composing process. I spend time reflecting before I begin writing. I gather my thoughts and ideas and reflect on the outline before I dive into my work. After each paragraph that I write throughout a paper, I always find myself re-reading and reflecting on its content. Does it make sense? Is it fluid? Am I reaching the audience? If I can answer no to any of these questions, I know that I need to spend more time reflecting in order to perfect my work. Then, when the entire piece is complete, I reflect again. I think reflection is something that comes naturally. Reflecting is a daily occurrence to most of us, whether it’s reflecting on our day, our school work, or the information that will be on our exam the next day. I feel like for the majority of the time, reflection is only a beneficial step of composition, as long as we take our reflections and use them to improve our work. Like Yancey mentioned in the reading, writing down a reflection is extremely beneficial. I always remember things best when I write them down, but I have never taken the time to sit down and write out my reflections. I feel that the process of writing down my reflections could be a huge benefit to me as a writer. Not only I can improve my writing instantly, but I can also keep my reflections to look back on when I’m writing something else. This will allow me to reflect on my writing as a whole and understand where my shortcomings are. Overall, I agree with Yancey on her ideas of reflection. It is definitely a huge role in the process of composition and should be exercised by every writer.
ReplyDeleteReflection is in every composing process, whether it be a poster, a journal entry or a simple blog post. It begins whenever the writer begins his or her thought process. My definition of reflection is when reflection allows the writer the opportunity to process knowledge and then apply that knowledge. In doing this, I can come to an understanding and interpret what I have learned. Yancey goes into detail when describing reflection. She mentions, "Reflection, then, is the dialectical process by which we develop and achieve, first, specific goals for learning; second, strategies for reaching those goals; and third means of determining whether or not we have met those goals or other goals." Reflection allows one to look at one’s final product and ask oneself what needs to change and what is good. Although I may have “learned” reflections’ exact usage and definition in this class, but that does not entail that I did not use it in past works I have done. Reflection is one of those things that you do without even realizing you are doing it. However, now that I do know of it by a name, I can now reflect on my recent works and see how I can improve the best way possible. Hearing different critiques from certain people may be bearable but the most important critique of all is what you give yourself. As a writer, you need to know what you did incorrectly and how can you prevent it from happening again. A key aspect to keep in mind is that reflection is not always negative. One can receive good critiques as well, which in my opinion, are just as important as the negative ones. Knowing that I did something right makes me feel like I accomplished what I wanted in that certain field. On another note, reflection is also something that remains constant throughout any sort of composition. Reflection means the same thing in anything and everything. For example, when writing a blog post, one may erase what they said before or re-word some sentences. That is reflection in action. Reflection can be used when finalizing a project or looking back at a more previous piece of work and ask yourself, what can I do to improve this? Questions like these are what determine a great composer. Reflection can take an artist to that very level.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first starting thinking about reflection I thought that it only happened at the end of my writing. After I've completed my writing I would reflect on how the final product came out and whether I was satisfied with my work and how it would effect how I write the next time. However, I realized that reflection occurs throughout the whole process of composing. For example, during my writing process I like to work in a linear fashion: i.e. introduction first, body and conclusion and sometimes through the process I'll run out of topics to discuss or just have writer's block and know what I'm trying to say but can't put it in words or it just has a bad flow to it. When this happens I just scroll up and read my paper from the beginning and then I reflect on how I can make it sound better or while rereading my paper I'll think of new things to talk about. I think Yancey makes an really good point when Yancey states, "Through reflection students articulate their own native language, a combination of discourses infused with idiolect, the multiplicity of which is what they bring into class with them." I think that Yancey's argument that, "Reflection is both process and product." is correct because while editing we reflect, we reflect at the end of our final product. I think that reflection is a constant discourse that occurs throughout our writing process. Even the way we reflect on a previous project or paper affects the way we approach a new, different or similar paper. Through reflection we can examine what we've learned and differentiate what we need to take from it to help be more effective in the future. I always thought these reflections were made for teachers to see if we've learned or did any of the work but I realize that while reflecting on every project that I actually learn things even during my reflection. I discover what I liked and didn't compared to before the reflection I didn't really think about my opinion because most of the times the projects are required whether you enjoyed or detested doing it and it changes the way I approach the next project. I think the way we reflect changes the way we reflect on our reflections. Compared to just thinking about a project, writing down your reflections can change the way you view your overall project or what you think was most important while doing the project. Yancey talks about the different types of reflections I think that any kind of reflection is imperative because without reflection we would have no opinion on what we do and we do not examine our work- which helps us be more effective later on.
ReplyDeleteTo compose is to find a way to express your feelings, ideas or even share a story with someone. When Gerry described reflection as “self awareness” it helped sum up the definition. Sharon Pianko’s definition of reflection is “behaviorally manifested as pauses and rescannings and heretofore ignored as a component of the composing process.” Throughout this class my composing process has altered and progressed and I believe that as I further my education it will continue to change. Something that has always stayed the same in my composing process is that it has always been similar to the five canons. Invention is the first step where I gather my thoughts and ideas and begin to brainstorm. After invention, the arrangement process is where I figure out how I am going to construct my composition. It is important that it flows and that I do not have ideas bouncing around all over the place. The third step is where I use style to make my writing my own. An example of something that I take into consideration before determining the formality of my word choice for an essay is definitely the audience. Depending on my audience, my work could be more personal and casual or extremely professional. The last two canons are memory and delivery. As I have said in a previous blog post, “Memory and Delivery go hand in hand to me. The more you study your writing and memorize the material, the smoother your delivery will be. If you are listening to someone giving a speech, you realize it is much more engaging if the speaker rarely has to look down at their notes. Memorization helps build credibility and will allow you to connect to your audience.” After these steps is where reflection comes in. Reflection is when you go back and read your “finished” work. It is looking over your work and thinking about how you have grown as a writer and what you have learned. This is important in the composing process because your work can always be improved. Reflection will help you strive to be the best writer you can be. I believe that I will use reflection for my other classes and projects. I am always excited to learn more tools that can improve my work in any field. Like Julia stated, I also enjoy looking at my projects throughout the years and seeing how I have improved and what things stayed the same. Yancey described reflection as “a mode of behavior indicative of growth of consciousness.” This goes back to having self awareness as you reflect. There is no denying that reflection plays an important role in the composing process. I thought it was an interesting point when Chelsea stated that she uses reflection through her entire composing process. I originally thought that reflection came at the end of the process but after reading her paragraph on the continuing of reflection it made me realize that everyone has their own process and in some cases they all have similar steps.
ReplyDeleteI believe that reflection happens during multiple parts of the composing process. I believe that a composer writes at the beginning of the composing process when one is first realizing what exactly what you need to write. The composer will have to reflect on him or herself and see how they want to approach the assignment at hand. Reflection also happens at the end of the assignment in my eyes. After you have finished your work, you must look over it and the writing process that took place and make sure that you answered all of the questions that were asked of you by your teacher. Because reflecting happens at the beginning and the end of the composing processes it is a great part of the actual composing process. it can even be said what starts and finishes the actual composing process. My definition of reflection is how a composer looks at him/herself in correlation to the work they are composing. Every writer has their own voice, so they will address a situation different. Yancey describes the reflection process as “going beyond the to a sense to include a text of ongoing conversations that text enter into”. This can have the same meaning as what I feel that reflection means. You look beyond the text into the way the text was made; this can be looking at the composer himself. I believe that reflection will obviously be used in any other writing class a student takes. You will have to reflect on the work you have created to make sure that it is exactly what you want it to be before you turn it in. I believe that reflecting also happens in other classes that do not deal with just writing, in science, math or even athletic classes, reflecting may need to take place when overviewing your work. I think that a person should always reflect over himself or herself. When dealing with goals, you should reflect to see where you are to where you want to go. That way the goal you are creating is realistic. When trying to figure out what you want to stand as a person, you must reflect on yourself to see exactly what it is you believe in. I do believe that reflection does change depending on exactly what you are doing. When dealing with schoolwork, the reflection is much more focused on the composition and the work that is created. When thinking of reflection on where you stand on certain issues, the reflecting would be focused on a more personal level and deal with issues that you would not focus on if it were for a paper with school. Like Jasmine states, reflection promotes change. Change is one of the few things we are promised as human beings. With that being said I think that it is evident that reflecting with always be something that is taking place. Will are always changing therefore we are always reflecting.
ReplyDeleteKathleen Yancey’s point of view on reflection is, ““it can mean revision, of one’s goals, or more often, of one’s work; it can mean self assessment… it can mean learning that takes place in and beyond the writing class…”
ReplyDeleteWhen I think of reflection I think of the movie Mulan and the song “Reflection”. This is one of my all time favorite Disney Movies. However this is not the case in which we are talking about. Personally I think that reflection comes at the end of any writing or composing process. I usually reflect back after I have umbrella my thoughts, written out everything and revised it several times. Oh and I can’t forget getting on Facebook several times in between that. After all of this I then reflect back and make sure I have done everything correctly. I not only use reflection in my composing process but I use reflection throughout my everyday life. For example, I use reflection after all my classes. At the end of each class while driving home I reflect back on everything I learned that day and try and “store it in my head” and memorize it for the next day of class.
I agree with what @Sydney said, “Every night before I go to sleep, I think back on my previous day, and even my previous life events.” I find myself doing this all the time! I am definitely a “thinker”. I love to lie in bed at night and reflect back on my day or previous events throughout the year. Reflection is also all in my room. My pictures and Memorabilia all over my walls reflect back and capture the best times of my life that I cherish and don’t ever want to forget. As you can see reflection is a big part of my everyday life. Moreover, it doesn’t always have to be written down. It can simply be a picture or an object that reflects back on treasured moments.
@Chelsea Walsh is absolutely correct when she says, “Without realizing it, we have all used reflection in different classes.” Not only in classes, but in our everyday lives we have used reflection. This summer, in our WEPO class I have found myself using reflection the most in a class. Each time we have to write a blog at night I try and reflect back and think about what I know about the subject before I begin reading and researching. Also, after I write my blogs I reflect back on it and revise it. To me, reflection and revising are similar in some cases. Furthermore, with each of our projects I find myself reflecting back over them numerous times before I turn in the final project. As we all know these projects count for a huge block of our grade so we have to do our best.
Reflection to me is expressed in several ways. It is a daily occurrence and anyone can have huge benefits from it. Overall, I agree with Kathleen Yancey on her perspective of reflection.
I feel like I keep repeating myself in terms of reflection. In previous blog posts and reflections on projects I insist that reflection is an ongoing process starting at the beginning of an assignment to the final hard copy. (Even that is a reflection.) Writing is more personal than people understand. I most definitely believe reflection is part of the writing process. Every word you choose has been carefully selected to fit the sentence that goes in the paragraph that backs up part of your thesis. Reflection is taking time to think about a topic and how it relates to the author, reader, assignment and the world. These blog posts are our interpretations of an authors work, and we must reflect on how we feel about said topic and expand on that. Yancey says that
ReplyDelete“Reflection is dialectical, putting multiple perspectives into play with each other in order to produce insight…reflection entails a looking forward to goals we might attain, as well as a casting backward to see where we have been. When we reflect, we thus project and review, often putting the projections and the reviews in dialogue with each other, working dialectically as we seek to discover what we know, what we have learned, and what we might understand. When we reflect, we call upon the cognitive, the affective, the intuitive, putting these into play with each other: to help us understand how something completed looks later, how it compares with what has come before, how it meets stated or implicit criteria, our own, those of others”
I think my perspective on reflection directly correlates with Yancey’s. As we write we think ahead to what we want to say, how to say it and find facts to back us up. We also look back to consider how the topic affects us personally, others and a whole spectrum of past experiences. I can’t speak for my fellow classmates but I like to periodically stop writing and read what I’ve already written. It helps me because I can see if I’m repeating myself or if a paragraph or sentence is better suited somewhere else. It helps me identify if I’m still on topic or on a tangent.
I am taking an Advertising class this summer and reflection has definitely helped me grasp the material better. We will learn hidden aspects of TV Ads and by remembering an impressionable ad I can relate the information learned to a commercial. By relating a new topic with a past/current commercial I’ve seen it helps me better remember what is going on. I can also pull in ideas I learned in psychology classes to understand the mechanics behind product placement. Because I know how the manipulation works I can realize when a commercial is enticing a reaction. Reflection helps people remember everyday things as well. Memories are triggered intentionally and sub-consciously.
I think reflection can change project to project. We evolve our perspectives all the time and our composing/writing style changes from assignment to assignment depending on the topic and medium. I agree with @Sydney that our composing/writing styles will stay pretty consistent throughout our lives, as she said “because at the end of the day you are just organizing your thoughts and writing them down.”
As Yancey mentions in the reading, reflection is “a sense, that is, of how writers draw on, respond to, and reword both their own pervious writings and those of others.” It draws on ideas writers have learned in the past to effect future discourse. Because there is always room for improvement in discourse, looking back on text I have read and written helps me become a better writer. For me, reflection can occur at any point in time during a composition process. While brainstorming, I usually think back on different projects and papers I have written to come up with new ideas. While revising, I may remember something that could improve an assignment I am working on. Reflection does not always have to be written down. I preferably like to make physical notes to myself if I think of something just in case I forget it. I always have my note pad app on my phone handy for that reason. Along with @Sydney, I have used reflection with “everything I have ever created”. After I hand in a finalized project or assignment, I sometimes reflect on how I could have improved it if I had more time or the resources. I have never written down this type of reflection before taking WEPO but from now on I am going to try because it has helped me throughout this course. Because I did a reflection on the brochure project, I knew what I could manipulate and change for the remediation project. The reflection for the brochure definitely helped when it came to editing our peer’s projects because I was able to take ideas from the past and combine it with everything we had learned since the second week of class. I believe the reflections were different for each project because each project called for different uses of discourse. There is a drastic change in the reflection of main assignment #1 and assignment #2. Going from printed text to a remediation of that text calls for different ways of composing. For main assignment #3, the reflection was about how we, as editors and writers, reacted to our peer’s brochures. Referring to Yancey’s definition of reflection, the “remembering” part of the composition process would be looking back at “what we have accomplished and by which we articulate accomplishment.” The discourse would be “the products of those processes.” As with other elements of composition, it is a case of cause and effect. Reflection takes ideas from old to create new discourse. I use the same process of reflection when I create discourse.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAs crazy as this may sound, I am now just really thinking about the reflection process and about how much we do it. Every night we go home and work on our write our blog, which means we are taking part in the reflection process. And, after every assignment we have done, we have written a reflection. I guess it has just become second nature to do so. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that it is always part of the composing process. I believe that it can be a part of it but not every single time. When composing, you typically have a process of brainstorming, drafting, revision, editing, rewriting and then your final draft. I’m with Sydney on this when she says she doesn’t typically write reflections unless asked to for class. A reflection is a good way to look back and reiterate what you’ve learned from writing. When I think of refection, I think of past events. You can reflect on a special event, or something you read or saw. After our main and mini assignments this semester, we have reflected on how it was to work in groups, as well as our own process when working alone. When reading Yancy, she defines reflection as, “revision, of one’s goals, or more often, of one’s work; it can mean self assessment… it can mean learning that takes place in and beyond the writing class…” I agree with what she says as well. When I write my reflection, I am forced to think about my process and what I have done while composing. I think about the things that I have done great at and the parts that I could have done better. This helps me learn how to improve as a writer. Would I ever use reflection for another class besides this? Possibly. I may not always write it down, but I could think about what I did. I believe that reflection doesn’t always have to be in writing. You can reflect on a certain time or maybe about something you said. Reflection is a process that we go through every day and possibly do not even know it. Weather it’s writing about a past project, or thinking about what you did that day, you are reflecting.
ReplyDeleteI believe reflection happens at all points of the composition process; it doesn’t have to come as the final component or task. The brainstorming, the composing and the revision all have the principle of reflecting through out the work. Furthermore, I believe for many writers it’s the cornerstone of their writing. Reflecting allows writers to gather thoughts, incorporate ideas and stay focused. When I hear the word reflection, I think of a glassy body of water that stares back up at you; in writing, this notion of reflection can similarly be applied. , When a writer reflects, their work is staring back at them, they are aware of what’s going on inside their head. Yancy defines reflection as a ‘’growth of consciousness,” an awareness of not only ideas but of the portrayal of these ideas as well. I agree with Yancy in her summarization of reflection but I also feel that reflection is much more than a basic incorporation of recognition with thoughts. For me, reflection happens when I’m struggling in a piece. I find myself going back and not necessarily revising, but rather taking the time to ponder my principles and ideas that I have set forth, and how they will eventually come together. Reflecting is like revising, it can occur at any point and more times than not, enhances a work. Yancy states that reflecting separates writers – the able from the not-so-able. I have to disagree, Reflecting on a work of any type allows us to grasp exactly what we’re thinking – it forces us to sit down and spill it all out. When we reflect, we explore and when we explore, we discover. I use reflection for nearly everything I do, I feel as humans we reflect on virtually everything to grab hold of meaning of any sort. Many classes require a response to work that penetrates surface level, which is where reflecting comes in. With that being said, I don’t find that reflection only happens when we write it down. It helps to put it on paper or type it into a document but many times the best reflective moments occur when you’re not scrambling to remember what it is you were thinking about in the first place, unless you’re a crazy good typist? Reflection can vary per project but I don’t feel as though it necessarily has to. For me the process is pretty generic and can be applied to nearly everything I do. The variation in reflection is within individuals and how they experience or perceive a certain work. I agree with Jasmine in saying documentation of a thought helps to make it concrete. Even though I don’t believe everything must be written to make it valid, when reflecting, it helps to refer to previous reflections to grasp how far you’ve come in your own personal awareness.
ReplyDeleteReflection. I agree completely with Yancey about reflection is going beyond the text to include a sense of ongoing conversation. While I personally feel reflection is helpful I don’t think that it is necessarily part of the composing process. As Gerry stated in a previous comment you can compose without reflecting. For example if I didn’t have to do the reelections we do in class or our projects I probably wouldn’t be doing them. However, since we assigned to do them in the class I do find that they make you aware of the effort that you put into a particular piece of writing. I believe reflection doesn’t only happen when you write it down. A simple thought could be you reflecting on something. For example sometimes I go back and think about a piece of writing and say o myself “ I wish I would have done ___ “. I feel that those thoughts and ideas are all apart of the reflection process.
ReplyDeletePersonally I reflect daily in my own life. While it may not be a written reflection, as Yancey stated in the text reflection has many meaning, but it could be professionally at work after an important meeting with staff or after a date or phone conversation with a guy. I am a firm believer of looking back and taking as much as I want from experiences that happen in life, in classes, and in things that I have written. I think anytime someone makes the comment “ If I had to do it all over…” is reflecting. They are looking back at something and saying what they would do differently or acknowledging what they learned. And that is my definition of reflection.
According to the text, reflection, in terms of the composing process, occurs in various places: during writing as “a writer’s pauses and rescannings”; after the text is written through revision or reviewing “the products we create and the ends we produce … [and] the means we use to get to those ends” and “projecting, as we plan for the … goals that we have set for ourselves”; and even before composing begins as we contemplate on topics, on research reviewed, and draft outlines for the impeding text. With that said, I believe that reflection is definitely part of the composing process as Yancey states that reflection includes the following three processes: (1) “goal-setting, revisiting, and refining” which I identify with the initial process of writing, brainstorming and outlining main ideas, then determining whether your ideas will properly articulate the meaning you intend to establish; (2) “text-revising in the light of retrospection (or review)” which is the revision and the editing processes; and (3) “the articulating of what learning has taken place” which is a new concept for me, which I have only used in this course. After reading the assigned text and reflecting on the Reflection assignments we have submitted throughout the class, I have come to understand reflection as a means to help me to understand my composing process, how the process I used affected my previously written works, and what I can do for future assignments to ensure they turn out better. Yancey’s definition of reflection is essentially the same as mine, she refers to reflection as “a means and end,” as well as the processes by which we know what we have accomplished and by which we articulate accomplishment, and the products of those processes.” Through reflection, she explains, students become “agents of their own learning” and they are “asked to know their own texts, to find what is likable, then to critique those texts, then to revise…recursively ….”
ReplyDeleteThe reflection exercises that we have completed for this class have opened up my eyes to my personal writing process, and the elements in writing that I should always be aware of (rhetorical situation, genre, and audience). I think the process of looking back over a project, or writing allows you the opportunity to consider everything that went into completing the work and to determine if the steps you took helped or hindered your product. I would definitely like to continue writing little reflections for my other classes. I agree with Chelsea and Sydney that we reflect about previous performances on tests, other written assignments, and even situations outside of academia like job interviews, then we critique ourselves to understand how we can do better. We reflect without even realizing that we are doing it, so I do not believe that it is something that is always written down. As far as reflection changing based on projects, I do not think it does; the methods we use or the questions we ask ourselves during reflection may vary, but I believe the mental process is the same: we sit back at some point, and in the quiet of our minds we think.
Reflection, as part of the composing process, happens consciously at certain times during the process of composition, but is always happening unconsciously through the writer. I believe reflection is not always a conscious process of composition because we learn through our own experiences and reflections, which will inevitably have an influence on the style or content of which we write. There are also time s in the process of composition that the writer reflects consciously, such as the editing process, when the writer takes a step back to reflect on the piece as a whole, and examine what is successful in the piece and what could be revised.
ReplyDeleteIn the past, traditional ways of education, the student is the composer and the teacher is the judge. This alienates the students from their work. But, through the process of reflection, students can critique their own work and articulate opposing views. This has given reflection a dualistic nature, as a process and a product. The student’s are not learning just through the product of their work, they are learning through the process, about themselves personally, and as a composer. Reflection is a key component in the process of composing because it brings practice and theory together. The writer and critic are no longer separated, but can work as one through the process of reflection.
According to Yancy, “Reflection is a critical component of learning and of writing specifically; articulating what we have learned for ourselves is a key process in that learning in both school learning and out-of-school learning” (Yancy, 14). I agree that reflection is an important component of learning, not only in school, but outside of it as well. Reflection begins at birth as we begin to engage with our environment. Yancy also states students can theorize about their own writing and “through reflection can assign casualty, they can see multiple perspectives, they can invoke multiple contexts. Such theorizing doesn’t occur “naturally”: as a reflective social process, it requires structure, situatedness, reply, engagement” (Yancy,19). I agree that reflection allows students to theorize about their own writing in different ways, however, I believe reflection does sometimes occur naturally as a social process. Perhaps Yancy’s point is that reflection needs to become a more structured component in the process of composition, rather than just a concept that is expected to occur naturally.
Reflection depends on the type of project, because you need to know what idea you are trying to get across and to what audience. I will continue to reflect through my college career and personal life, because it gives a sense of individuality, and also a different perspective, as the critic, on how to appeal to an audience.