WOW! We have absolutely learned a lot! From rhetoric, to remediation and now editing, we have learned a lot! As we explored the very beginning of rhetoric we took it ALL the way back to ancient Greece and Rome. With our explorations I discovered my definition of rhetoric. To me rhetoric is the understanding of how to use words to persuade an audience. To understand rhetoric I think one must understand the 5 cannons. They were created for a reason. It is an one stop show to figure out how to use rhetoric. Below I am going to break it down, like Destiny Child of everything you need (your welcome).
THE FIVE CANNONS:
1. Invention- this is the beginning state of your argument, also known as the brain storming cannon. In this stage, you figure out WHAT you want to write. For instance, Beyonce, Kelly, and Michelle sit down in this stage and figure out WHAT THEY WANT TO WRITE, will it be a love song or will it be a club hit?
2. Arrangement: is concerned with how one arranges a speech. As a speech writer you want to MAXIMIZE the effect of your piece. This is possible with the use of logos (logic), pathos (emotion), and ethos (ethics). Arranging your argument effectively convince your audience of anything. With the example of Destiny Child, how are the lyrics arranged to make the audience believe that a love can be so good it makes you lose your BREATH (inhale, exhale)
3. Style: Style is concerned with the use of correct and appropriate language that supports persuasion. Style takes the ideas of invention and determine HOW it will be said, what words would be used to best capture the audience. For instance, Destiny Child created a song called “Cater to You”, how effective would the song be were it titled, “Let Me Take Care of You”.
4. Memory: Memory is the process of learning the speech so it can be delivered without index card. I mean really, how wack would it be if Beyonce popped on the stage, danced to the microphone, and took out a flash card, and began singing. Memorizing a speech can help with the credibility of the speaker.
5. Delivery: is the way you deliver your speech, not just with your words, but also with your voice, gestures, and facial expression. Alright back to Destiny Child, would you really believe they were losing their breath if they were picking dandelions in a field, or dancing around swinging their hair.
What emotion do you get from this photo? Portraits are an excellent example of still delivery. What gestures or facial expression are used to make you understand how they feel?
KNOWLEDGE!- This is an interesting question. I never really though about what knowledge is per say and how it adapts itself into my life. I do think knowledge always exists. We are born with none, but life experiences teach us knowledge. As we get older, we speak and DISCUSS, inevitably allowing us to attain more knowledge. I think knowledge is creatable. I also believe everyone can do it. I do not think an education in scholarly realms is the only knowledge one can have. Knowledge has the power to be new, but we must rely on previous knowledge to help gain new.
No comments:
Post a Comment