Tuesday, August 2, 2011


When reflecting on who I am as a composer, it is necessary to look back on my entire life. The things that I have experienced growing up have not only made me who I am today but has also transformed the way I write. The past 19 years, one month, and 23 days of my life have been very interesting and have led me to perceive the world in my own light. This class has taught me that creativity is rooted in the perception of reality. With every project we have done, everyone has turned in something different and that goes back to everything they have been through during their lives.

There are two sides to my personality. There always has been. I can be very serious or very silly. When I write or compose, I struggle to bring out the sillier side of me. It is something I work on every time I create something. My voice now tends to be very impersonal and as I learn more and more about the composing process, I have started to work on opening up when I write.

My goal is to one day be able to show people my full personality through the use of words. As I said, it is an ongoing process and I still consider myself to be a serious composer.

I want to become a more fun writer, even though my goal in being an EWM major is to become a business journalist. I think that if I could learn to be a little less serious, I would be more successful and more relatable. I have the personality for it but my writing is not quite there.


When discussing what elements of our background create our perspectives on life that translate into our writing, I credit everything to my family. Family is very important to me and I consider myself to have an identical personality to my parents. They have their two sides as well but they do not write. They do not have to think about how to incorporate their two sides into one piece. That's what college is for. The development of our education parallels the composing process in my opinion. When I began college my freshman year, I had really no idea what I wanted to do with my life or where I was going to go. All I had was the memories of my childhood and my family to hold on to and that is when I began to brainstorm on how I could use these memories and create a path for myself. I ended up an EWM major along with Economics. I decided I could use Economics to represent my serious side and EWM to bring out my creative/silly side. It's still a work in progress. I think my sophomore year is going to be about writing that first draft. I am testing the waters, trying to decide if my insight on life is good enough to write about. I want to figure out what I'm good at and what my weaknesses are. My junior year should be the revision process. I will know where I'm headed and how to achieve my goals. Senior year will be the editing/publishing phase. I will be perfecting everything and head off into a world of possibilities. I will bring my experiences from my childhood and my college life and hopefully have a true writing style developed.


To conclude, I do not have a developed writing style as of yet. I am working on perfecting it and being able to really show who I am through words. Since I do not know where I'm heading when it comes to writing, I can't even begin to touch on where I stand as an editor. I have had barely any practice when it comes to editing and I think that I will know what my style is through practice. All I can do is keep working at everything and hopefully one day I will truly be happy with who I am as a writer, composer, and editor.

1 comment: