Thursday, June 30, 2011

Theory of Composing: Take One

For this blog post, you are going to begin to think about your theory of composing--basically this is like the first draft of your theory, so it's more of an exploration than anything definite.

Think back to science or philosophy classes—a “theory” is normally a group of statements put together to explain a phenomena (here it is composing) and assists in the understanding of these statements. So, what you are going to do is begin to theorize about composing—the process, the definition(s), key terms, etc. Here are some questions to help you begin (you don’t need to answer these, but use them to springboard your thinking):

1. What does it mean to compose? What does it mean to compose with writing (and not something like art or music)?
2. What is a composing process? How does the composing process differ depending on the genre in which you are composing in (e.g. do you use the same composing process to create a poster as you would to create an essay)?
3. How does composing connect to writing?
4. What is “good” writing?
5. What are key terms you think of for good writing? How would you define these key terms?

After you answer this post you then need to create a wordle and post the link with your post.

How to create a Wordle: Go to wordle.net. Hit “create.” Paste your text into the blank space. You can play and manipulate the colors and fonts as you wish once you paste your document inside the wordle. Save the wordle to the wordle gallery. Then once it is saved you can post the url inside your comment like I did below.

Below is example I have done using the words from above:

http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/2198608/Theory_of_Composing_Journal

21 comments:

  1. Composing to me is combining or arranging words to make it fit to the desired audience. To engage, entertain or inform them in what you are writing about. As a writer I am always finding myself writing for an audience of the same age. When I compose something I first think about the main issue and try to brainstorm, What am I writing about? Or maybe even what is the rhetorical situation? Then I continue on to collect a few main key points that I want to discuss in my writing. Or maybe even key terms that will structure my writing better. Such as: analyze, compare/contrast, evaluate, discuss, or even just simply describe. I start my writing off with a mood, definition or maybe even a catch phrase. Something that will catch ones eye. Once I have gotten the beginning steps down, for me, the rest just naturally flows. Composing is not an easy process, it takes time and discipline. I also feel like someone should write more than you should possibly need to, then if necessary remove what isn’t meaningful to you. When you compose an essay I feel like it’s more structured and arranged then when you would simply create a poster. There are more steps to take and a wider range in words you should use. When creating a poster or composing you would need to brainstorm. Everything always needs a little thinking before actually doing it. A little inspiration and creativity can get you a long way. After everything I compose or create I always like to revise. Even though it is a lengthy part of the process, it makes me feel better as a writer. My high school English teacher once told me a quote and it has always stuck with me, “Writing is to express, not to impress.” When I hear this quote it makes me realize write what I want to write and express how I feel, if I can do this then any writing will be a good writing.


    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3821457/WEPO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Composing in literature and music are similar in the aspect that they both start with an idea, something the author wants to bring to life from their mind. The difference is music tends to have a melodic repetition whereas literature tends to not be repetitive unless it’s poetic. My composing process begins with thinking of what I want to write about and what the overall theme of my paper will be. Do I need to be persuasive, informative, educational writing or personal writing? From there my paper just tends to take form and flow and I frequently read through it to make sure it makes sense. I tend to write more than necessary because it is easier to take out sentences and restructure than it is to add points. The last part of my process is writing a thesis. Theses have always been the hardest part about writing for me, so I like to save them for last—less pressure. I never put much thought into composing till now because I’ve never been a writer and it’s interesting to see all the different thoughts and opinions on the topic. Sure I can do it, but it is not something I aspire to do. I like the end part of composing, when you can read an author final work and their thoughts, feelings, and points are coming across in their own words.

    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3821561/livxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me composing is creating art. With my art, my canvas is not limited to an easel, but rather a sticky note I can jot some ideas or the infamous blank document provided to me by Microsoft. Composing for reading is a unique talent. Unlike music, there are no beats, hot melodies that amplify your purpose; in writing- it’s just your words. How one composes is respective to that individual. I remember the basic 5 step writing process taught to me in 5th grade. Prewrite, Draft, Revise, Proofread, and Publish, if only it was done as easy as it is said. Today, I still compose in a similar format. My prewriting begins with brainstorming. I throw ideas on a paper, develop a topic or premise, create points that support that, and BOOM! I begin tackling my papers. Composing easily changes depending on the genres one is working on. If one were to draft a poster, using the standard 5 steps will help, but needs to be adjusted for aesthetics. I guess that is one of the luxuries and woes of writing. As writers, our words are our aesthetic. The imagery we create with diction and syntax makes the mind beautiful eternally- rather than the eye for a few minutes. I do not think there is such a thing as “good” writing. Writing is expression of ones mind and to me, that cannot be good or bad. If your writing to be a good writer, that you must suck. You write because you have an idea, thought, argument, or story you want to tell others. Once you do that, you have made good writing. Key terms to MY definition of writing would be expression, position, rhetorical situation, and support. Definitions are provided below:
    1. Expression- words used to explain an authors point of view
    2. Position- a stance a composer is at. Maybe be influenced by life experiences, economic status, family, and culture.
    3. Rhetorical Situation- why are you writing? What happened to you and why was it worth sharing? ( The beginning of my composing process)
    4. Support- researching ideas or theories that support the writer’s claims

    Check out my Wordle! I LOVE IT! Very interesting tool! Some words need to go, but I like it. http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3822819/Jasmine1

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion, composing is finding a way to express your feelings, ideas or even share a story with someone. What is so inspiring about composing is there are various ways you can relay your message. Music, stories, journals, essays, painting and drawing are ones that stick out in my mind. Even though those styles are different, some on complete opposite sides of the spectrum, they all have something in common which is they express something. I am not musically talented but I like to think of myself being artistic in the fact that I love writing. Writing is an art and my favorite thing about that is everyone can be an artist in their own way. The first thing that comes to mind when I begin my composing process is who my audience is go to be. From there I can determine the rhetorical situation and make sure my writing is situation and audience appropriate. Creativity stems from my mood I believe. If I am in a happy upbeat mood my word choice and subject is going to be different from if I am in a sad dreary mood. Making sure you have credible sources is critical to the credibility of your writing. Revision is the final part of my composing process because it is essential to have a successful composition of your work. It is going to be pretty difficult to allow your audience to be engaged in your topic and then understand the message you wish to get across if you have sentence fragments or misspelled words. If that is the case then your audience is going to be focusing on the errors rather than the excitement or meaning of your story which is something you never want to happen. My main goal of writing is after the reader finishes they know exactly what I was trying say and have painted their own picture of it.


    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3823045/WEPO_amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Composing, to me is as much of an art as the actual process. It is unique and varies from person to person, artist to artist, composer to composer. To compose is the process in which we create something new and original. In writing, composing a work consists of organizing and planning a style, purpose, genre, voice and wording. When one composes, they take each element and elaborate. For me, my composing process begins before I even begin writing. I plan the ways in which I want to convey my message. I jot down notes, ideas, quotes, main points, and even jokes I may want to incorporate. Composing a draft is an absolute necessity before one can compose an actual work to be critiqued. I believe the composing process varies from work to work – composing a persuasive speech on the effects of GMO’s to the environment and composing a memoir wouldn’t necessarily be parallel. The ideas, emotions and structure would differ and effect the process accordingly. I am a visual learner and composer, so ultimately I find it best to make a chart or web before I even compose a draft. Composing connects to writing because it is the basis of all good writing. For many, the writing process can’t begin without an understanding of effective ways to compose that are useful for them. To compose effectively is to write effectively, the composing process is the cornerstone to developing ideas that will later be used to write. I believe good writing has a trace of the writer that a reader can feel they can connect with. Anyone can write an intro, two body paragraphs and a conclusion but a good writer knows where an when to inject voice, emotion and situations that people can identify with and say “that’s so right.” I believe good writing consists of the following factors; thoughtful structure, fluent literacy, relatable emotion, and a theme that is clear and precise.

    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3823126/caroline%27swordle

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Composing” is pure creation. It starts well before we even know we're going to write. Let's say, for example, I'm sitting on a park bench watching a couple of little girls frolic around in frilly dresses. I go home and write a little memoir about one of the many times my sister and I were paraded around the neighborhood in our matching poofy dresses. In this example, the composing didn't start with a pencil and it didn't start with sitting at home thinking about the little girls playing in the park. It started when I was sitting on that park bench, letting the rest of the composing fall into place. If moments like these start the composing process, my theory behind composing is that we are always composing... Forever composing. It may take a writer a while to realize what he/she want to write about, but composing doesn't start with understanding why the pencil's in his/her hand. It starts with the simplicity of just being. The “ah-ha” moment of a writer realizing the direction his/her work is headed is the second step of composing. Most people tend to think that the “ah-ha” moment is what begins the composing process, but what these people fail to realize is that the “ah-ha” needs to start from somewhere, something, someone. For some writers, it starts on a park bench.

    Now, to touch on the relationship between composing and writing: The connection between composing and writing is one that needs to be very strong and present in order to create “good” writing. There will always be a reason to write. Whether or not the audience knows that reason is irrelevant. I don't write for the audience to understand me. I write so they can understand my words. Knowing and understanding these things about myself as a writer plays a huge role in successful composing. The composing process can take many turns if a writer does not know his or her motive for writing and relationship with the audience. Understanding yourself as a writer comes far before understanding the words you write. This is the difference between composing and writing: One is for the writer and the other is for the audience.

    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3823329/theoryofcomposing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would define composing as a way of putting your own voice into words. It is a form of expression but more behind the scenes. You can compose in the vicinity of your room with no one around and end up touching millions of lives. In real life I tend to be more shy and timid than I come across on paper. It seems that I have the ability to be more than one personality, more than one voice all through the way I write. I feel that for each thing you write, there is a different voice. Across genres of creativity there are thousands of ways to express yourself and even within the same genre. Even when I read the same author but different books they can seem to be completely different voices. I like to write because I do not like to express myself in everyday life but come to life through what I write. Expression is a key term when composing. It is the way in which your ideas are conveyed. Expression changes with each thing you write. I would also use perspective as a key term of composition because everyone views the world in a different light and writing is a way that you can get your own views out there.

    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3824309/Composing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Typically when I think of composing, I think of writing a paper or some type of article. I always thought that’s what English classes were about. Well, according to Richard young, he states that composing isn’t something that can just be taught, but it is rather a creative process that must be learned over time and experience. This article talks a lot about the shift of paradigms and how writing is viewed one way until many changes are made and then that becomes the expectable way. They say many people assume that English teachers are able to teach composition to students easily. Actually, it is quite opposite. The article states that they typically use the same traditional paradigm they were taught years ago, and never progress. Composing is not just writing down facts or thoughts, but it is the process of putting thoughts and ideas together that makes senses and expresses your point. Composition changes. Writing many years ago in a notebook is different from typing on a computer today. I agree with Jasmine when she says that writing is an expression of ones thoughts, which means there is technically no good or bad writing. Writing should be expressive, as well as expository. You cannot just teach writing, and until writing teachers actually write for themselves, they cannot fully grasp the correct way to compose. Changes in writing are constantly being made and it is important to progress with it.
    !.) Paradigm shift- A change is concepts of writing
    2.) Compose- put together facts and ideas in a manner, which makes sense
    3.) traditional paradigm- the tradional method of writing learned by most
    http://www.wordle.net/create

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Theory is normally a group of statements put together to explain a phenomenon and assist in the understanding of statements. Saying that, I believe the term composing defines ones true voice and thoughts that comes out through writings. To compose with writing itself as a whole, not art or music, is to take ones exact thought process and choice of words onto paper. With art and music one can only put feeling and emotion. It is basically a guessing game for only you to understand its true meaning and its story. For writings you want your audience to know exactly where you are coming from. A composing process is finding out how you want to "lay out" your word choice and format, so your viewers can connect with you. Composing, in my opinion, is the same in all genres. In art, for example, you are telling a story, deciding what colors signify what you are trying to portray; the same goes for music. A composing thought process is the exact same way in every genre. A "good" piece of writing is when your writing can influence your audience, that can relate to your readers and/or be able to not only see but feel your story though words. When you write something you want your audience to connect with you on the level you felt when you composed your writings. Having your audience connect with you on an emotional and personal level is what makes your compositions worthwhile.

    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3824332/WEPO_Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. To compose is to collect an array of topics, opinions, cite sources, and effectively describe a perspective. To effectively craft a composition, one must fully understand the topic. Prior to the research phase, I like to focus on my thoughts alone regarding the subject. I do this, in order to avoid others from influencing my stance too much. This helps me to effectively mesh my ideas with scholars or experts. The composing process begins with brainstorming and collecting research. Next I develop the draft or theoretical outline. From that point on, inclusion of resources and scholars help to enhance my work with credibility. I prefer to start with an outline, and proceed to make at least two drafts of composition. Once I have composed a solid draft, I like to have a friend or fellow English major proofread. I also like to visit a writing center to make sure I’ve conveyed my ideas well. After several revisions caught by proofreading, I then present my work to an audience. Composing connects to writing on many levels. Composing and writing go hand in hand, and share a symbiotic relationship. Without previous composers our writing would become too opinion based. The writings would be considered too personal and of no real value to others. Although, opinion writing has a purpose it does not always mean it is relevant to others. “Good” writing is hard to come by with the birth of social media communication. I find good writing to be timeless and reputable pieces. I like to refer back to classics and peer reviewed sources when in need of sound writing. Some key terms related to good writing are timeless, reputable, and sound. Timeless pieces have great valor and can withstand evolution (i.e. William Shakespeare and Charles Dickens). I check these compositions for reputable sources that ooze credibility. This writing is hard to find, but I guess any product considered a “good” is. Good writing is worth the search.

    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3824352/wepo_blog_4

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I think of composing the first thing that comes to my mind is music. When thinking about writing and its relation to composing I found that music and writing have very similar characteristics. Like music, when writing you are creating your own unique piece to communicate something to the audience. Furthermore, composing needs organization, where you know what you want to communicate but to know how and when will effect the final product and its effectiveness. For example, in music there are many components to composing music like beats, rhythm, harmony, etc. that come into play and are important to composing "good" music. Composing good writing means that it has a clear argument, evidence that supports it, a persuasive voice, style. Applying all of these components together are parts of composing "good" writing.


    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3824612/composing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Composing can be defined as self exploration. You must look into yourself to figure out exactly what you are trying to get across. Composing to me means to carry out a multi step actions. With composing you are putting your thoughts or views on something in a way that is comprehendible by other people who may be interested in the same subject. With writing specifically, it is dealing with language and words to get across your message in a written way. The most important thing to remember about composing is that it is a process. This may be one of the most used terms when thinking about composing. The process begins when you first get the prompt or idea that you are writing on. With this you then begin to research knowledge and information. After this you put your style of writing and speaking into the mix to help the reader get a better understanding of you. The process then is done with you but it is not completely over. The next step is on the reader. They are then the ones who take the information in and then make a decision about it. The process is different for every type of composing that you do. The one process may involve a longer thinking process, while something like music would involve more time devoted to the style that is being used. Composing relates to writing because writing is a form of composing. I think the difference is that composing has much more thought put into it where as writing can just be something you decided to do one day when you are bored. Good writing is something that can be defined as writing so that it is cohesive and able to be comprehended by anyone that is writing it. This is very different from good composing in my opinion. In my opinion good composing has emotion and personality to the work at hand. Composing should be very personal and thought out. Key words that I believe are necessary to understand composing are emotions, personality, understanding, knowledge and acceptance. Once you accept exactly who you are as a composer. It is sure to be noticeable in your writing and help to improve it.
    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3824977/Composing_is_self_exploration

    ReplyDelete
  13. Initially, I thought that composing with writing was very different than composing music or art. After thinking about it, they are actually somewhat similar. Composing art and music requires creativity and has freedom. When composing, a writer must also be very creative and open minded in order to create an intriguing composition and to reach his/her audience. The composing process requires planning, actual writing, revising, rewriting, and editing before reaching a final product. I grew up learning the traditional steps for the writing process such as the five-sentence paragraph and the five-paragraph essay. Which was later proofread for grammatical errors. I used this process until I had one very influential high school teacher. She stressed planning and outlining along with imagination and creativity. She made her students think outside the box just like some of the writers in “The Winds of Change” did for their students. Since then I have always preplanned using outlines, notes, or even webs. The writing process is very important when composing, but I agree times are changing. The process may also change between the different genres of writing. For example, a writer would plan and rewrite more for an essay or large piece of writing than he/she would for a poster or short article. Well-composed writing makes for good writing. What I mean by this is that, if one uses his/her creativity and bring something interesting to their writing, followed by prewriting, writing, revisions, and proper grammar usage, their writing will probably be good. Unfortunately, many writers do not do this. They simply write, and write to get it over with. Good writing takes time and patience, as well as a free mind. It is important for the writer to bring something new and exciting to their writing, such as a new idea. This will also help to draw in the audience, which is of course very important.

    My Key Terms for good writing would be:
    1. Prewriting: Planning what you are going to write, and how you are going to write it. For example, are you going to be satirical, or are you going to be solemn? Of course the answer to this would be based on the topic.
    2. Audience: the people who are going to be reading your work. The audience is very important to consider for writing to be effective
    3. Revision: Not only checking for grammar mistakes, but rewriting again and again until it is perfect.
    4. Rhetorical Situation: Why are you writing and/or what are you writing in response to?

    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3825043/composing

    ReplyDelete
  14. To me, composing is the expression of a writer in the way that they develop and convey their message. Like many people stated, at first I too did not correlate composing music or art with the composition of writing. Yet, as I delve deeper into the readings and the meaning of rhetoric and composition, I'm learning that composing a piece of writing is in fact very similar to composing music or art. Composing requires creativity. It requires organization and planning. The composition of one's writing reflects their own style and reflects their beliefs and purpose as a writer. Before any sort of composition occurs, there must be a step of planning. During this phase of composing, the audience and rhetorical situation must be considered. Why am I writing this? Who am I speaking to? What point do I want to convey? Asking yourself questions along these lines will help a writer begin the composing process and help with organization and purpose. To me, and I'm sure to most, pre-writing is an essential component of any composition. A good piece of writing takes an understanding of English and organization. A GREAT piece of writing takes more than that; it takes time, thought, and proper delivery.

    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3825243/composing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Composing, up till this point, has held little importance to me. I thought that composing had to do with a person directing an orchestra, but composing can be attributed to all of the forms of art that we have today. From painting, to writing, to music, composing is a very essential concept when creating a piece of work. Composing to me, is a means of demonstrating, not through conventional ideas, but through personal ones. To compose a piece of art or literature is much like creating a personal message. Much of what goes into composing something, has to do with Rhetoric as well, and the immediate situation and feelings that are attributed with your work. Composing allows an artist a means to communicate, while also becoming more self aware. It is more about personal discovery/understanding than anything, and is usually viewed solely through the public's point of view. I believe that composing, is a process. A process that allows for the end result to state something, to become more than just a bunch of words, or a couple painted pictures, composing SPEAKS to the audience more than anything, and tells them exactly what the Author or Composer was thinking at the time of composure. This idea, is much like the fabric of well known masterpieces, in which the composing of the work is not an explanation of the piece, but an interpretation, an understanding so in depth, that it can be articulated by the author to the viewer without much deviation.

    wordle:http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3825820/Composing_theory_

    ReplyDelete
  16. Composing to me is simply organizing ones thoughts and putting it into word form. Sometimes there are so many thoughts that run through a personas head that the best way to express them is write them down.
    My initial process is kind of like the age-old process that Jasmine stated above, pre-write , draft, revise, proofread, and publish. My prewriting stage is usually me just jotting down my thoughts on whatever it is that I am writing about. It could be i paragraph form or sometimes it just words on a page. Most times my prewriting state is the hardest part of my writing process because getting those thoughts onto a page for some reason causes my mind to go blank. I feel that the composing process does differ for different depending on genres and composing for some genres may be easier than others. For example, if I am writing for a fiction romance novel it would be easy for me to compose those thoughts because romance is favorite subject of mine and it would be easy to let my imagination run wild with the topic. Whereas if i asked to compose a written editorial for a topic that I wasn't to familiar about.
    I don't think there is any such thing as “good writing”. Writing is a form of expression of ones thoughts and that alone makes it subjective to a variety of opinions and views. If someone was to write about something that I disagree with I obviously would not consider it to be “good writing” versus something that I agree with. My terms for “good writing” goes back somewhat to the terms I gave in a previous blog post: Rhetorical Situation, audience, pathos, persuasion. I would keep these terms in mind with the thoughts tagged to them:
    Rhetorical situation-think about why you are writing about what you are writing.

    Audience- Who are you writing to.

    Pathos-using some type of emotions to connect with the given audience.

    Persuasion- persuading your reader to if not agree with your thoughts and least understand them.

    Here is my wordle I LOVE IT
    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3825869/Dee_Wordle_for_WEPO

    ReplyDelete
  17. My “theory” of composing is putting ones thoughts and ideas into words to address a certain purpose. The ways the ideas are put into words are specific to the individual writer. That is how each writer develops his/her own sense of style. A composing process is also different for each individual. As we noticed in class, everyone has their own way to go about writing a paper or doing a project. A composing process can be as simple as sitting down one afternoon, finishing the paper in one sitting, revising it, then sending it in for a grade. Or it can be intricate with multiple steps before a word is even written or typed. Writing with text verses music or art takes a different area of creativity. Instead of working with pictures and symbols, on is working with words. The composing process maybe different for someone with a poster project that’s focused around a topic of interest. If an individual was excited about a music poster project, he/she would get started right away verses doing multiple tasks beforehand as he/she would do for an essay.
    Composing is very important to writing because that is how the final product is made. The process is needed to arrange ideas and construct a clearly defined paper or project. I agree with sancho when she said, “the connection between composing and writing is needed in order to create “good” writing”. The process of composing entails editing and finalizing a piece of writing.
    My teachers in high school would always say a paper was never truly finished. There are so many ways a writer can go back and change a text to improve it. In my opinion, “good” writing is when alterations are made constantly to make a text better. As the reading addressed, papers can be constantly altered in a way that ideas can be added and changed as many times as a writer wants.
    A key term that is important is style because style is subject to each individuals writing. Another term that is important, that Jasmine used as well, is rhetorical situation. A text needs to have a purpose before it is composed.



    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3827048/Theory_of_Composing

    ReplyDelete
  18. To compose is to use language to convey to an audience your thoughts or argument. Composing writing is different then composing art or music because you use language to create an image in the readers head, instead of just providing them with the image or sound. Words have different meanings and importance to people, so it is important to select words that will best get your point across. The composing process depends on the genre you are composing in because, because you must use style and language that will match the audience. If you are speaking to a younger audience, you wouldn't use grand style because they may not understand. Similarly, you wouldn't use a trivial form if you are composing a piece that speaks to a professional audience. The style one uses in composing should also appeal to the audience. If you are writing for a newsletter, you will want minimal text and more headings and pictures that will jump out at the reader. If you are writing a formal essay, the text will be the substance of the piece and should be arranged to create a flow that will appeal to the desired reader. The style and language must be appropriate for the genre and audience you wish to reach.
    When I compose writing, I start with my main point or thesis statement. Then, I formulate arguments that will support the thesis statement and figure out how to arrange them so it will flow smoothly. Finally, I create a closing argument or conclusion to wrap up my thoughts and leave the reader with the main points.
    The most important terms in composing are audience, form, unity, and arrangement. The audience will determine the language a composer will use as well as the form that will be most beneficial. Unity is important in composure because the reader should understand the main idea or persuasive argument. There should be a beginning, middle, and end that are arranged to give the piece a nice flow and unity.


    In response to Sancho,
    I agree a writer most know themselves as well as their audience to create "good" writing. Even if the audience doesn't agree with you, they should understand your argument.

    However, I also agree with itsannesanchez, that "good" writing can influence your audience, no matter the case, and allow them to connect with you. This is what makes writing worth it.


    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3829529/whitney_smith_

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with several previous posts, such as Caroline Hughes who states, "Well, according to Richard young, .... composing isn’t something that can just be taught, but it is rather a creative process that must be learned over time ..." Composing is a mode for expressing creativity. According to essayist Maxine Hairston, written composition has traditionally been taught as a linear, rule-based process: writing, revision, re-writing. For me, the process of composing begins as we have all been taught, with an idea or topic to be expounded upon for some purpose. I conduct research then begin the basic process of composing which is as follows: Brain-storming, outlining, rough draft, revision, proofreading and final draft. These are also key terms used often in compositon courses from high school through college; personally I find the process of writing very tedious, and stressful so I'm not sure if the textbook method of the writing process is efficient for me. These key terms are always associated with "good writing". Good writing to me is clear, concise and conveys its purpose to its directed audience.

    Link to my Wordle: http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3825741/Theory_of_Composing

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. To me, composing is putting things together. Approaching composing for me always points to music first -- there's an accepted system for composition, and many, many audibly different styles to work in. Every genre of music has a different level of expectation, and a different need for competency. It is not often that a good pop song writer sits down to compose a symphony; nor is it often that a good symphonic writer sits down to pen the lyrics to the next top-40 hit.

    I feel like composing is the same in writing -- while there is some obvious genre crossover (a short-story writer, for instance, writing a poem or two), there are specific requirements placed on the composition process based on a composer. "Good" writing, then, is not really defined by absolute technicality, nor the level of difficulty. "Good" writing, instead is defined by the creativity of the composer and the composer's understanding of his/her genre.

    Much like music though -- composition in writing is sound -- Jasmine said "there are no hot beats...", but I disagree. There are 'melodic devices' -- word stresses, ways of putting words together that are near-musical in quality; that paint, just like a good melody, a precise picture. There are many ways to do this. A club anthem is very different from a love song, just as a confessional poem is different from something a poet laureate might compose for, say, a historic event. We learn the inner-workings of our composition process based on the finished compilations of others. Composition is creativity and collaboration too -- both with other people, our own thoughts, and the thoughts of past composers who have influenced us.

    And... the wordle:
    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/3868324/Composition_Theory_1

    ReplyDelete